“BLACK LIVES MATTER
We stand in solidarity with the call for Black liberation. In light of recent movements to address police brutality and anti-Black racism across the world, we’ve been looking at how to do our part.
Building on the success of our first Black Brilliance program, BLACK BRILLIANCE 2.0 is a 6-day online filmmaking workshop for young Black artists! Participants will create an original film, with the mentorship and support of professional Black artists and youth workers.
This program is a Black space for youth of African descent and no previous experience is necessary!
In this FREE program, you will:
• Learn how to plan, shoot, and edit a short film, all from home
• Create art in an all-Black space
• Receive a FREE 6-month software license for Adobe Premiere Rush
• Receive a $100 honourarium
• Work creatively with a group of peers
• Have a ridiculous amount of fun!
• Of African descent
• Excited about filmmaking and interested in using film for social change
• Curious to try a new model of collaborative, pandemic-era filmmaking
• Between the ages of 15 and 30
• Available for ALL 6 program sessions listed below
• Able to access a computer or laptop that can run Zoom (details) and Adobe Premiere Rush (details).
This will be an all-Black space. We welcome any level of experience, and youth who are female-identified, LGBTQ2S+ or who have disabilities or face systemic and structural barriers are highly encouraged to apply and will be prioritized.
Up to 20 young people will be chosen to participate in this project. Your films will be featured at a virtual gala after the program, submitted to the Reel Youth Film Festival, and distributed on Telus Video-on-Demand, YouTube, social media and the Reel Youth website.”
For more information and to apply, please visit: https://reelyouth.ca/blackbrilliance.html
-from Reel Youth