“Every year, on June 21st, First Light hosts a series of events and activities that celebrate the rich and diverse histories and contributions of Indigenous people in Canada, as part of National Indigenous Peoples Day. This year, we are thrilled to be returning to a fully in-person celebration!
The day will begin with a Sunrise Ceremony at Cavell Park, followed by refreshments. At 2:00 pm, the urban Indigenous and broader community are invited to the Techniplex for a family-friendly performance showcase, community feast, and urban powwow or Mawi’omi.
In addition to the series of performances for National Indigenous People’s Day on June 21, First Light will be hosting a series of workshops from both local and visiting performers before/after the 21st.
- June 20
- June 21
- 6 – 7 AM: Sunrise Ceremony (no registration required)
- 10 – 11 AM: Free Cultural Diversity Training (no registration required)
- 12:30 – 1:30 PM: Free Cultural Diversity Training (no registration required)
- 2 – 4 PM: Family Friendly Festival (no registration required)
- 4 – 8 PM: Mawi’omi (no registration required)
- June 22
- 6 – 7:30 PM: Waltes Tournament
- June 23
- 10 AM – 4 PM: Ribbon Skirt Workshop“
For more information, please visit: https://firstlightnl.ca/resources/nipd/
-from First Light