Art Starts celebrates its 2016 season with an art exhibit and performance extravaganza
“Award winning community arts organization Art Starts is proud to present its 2016 Showcase on Wednesday, December 7th, from 6pm-8pm at the Toronto Centre for the Arts. This free event features an open house, visual art, music and dance performances.
The event will celebrate city wide collaborations between artists and community members working in a variety of artistic disciplines. The Showcase unites people of all ages who have participated in Art Starts programs in the Eglinton-Oakwood, Villaways, Lawrence Heights and Glendower neighbourhoods in North York and Scarborough.
“I am very excited and invite you all to attend this unique exhibition,” says Special Projects Manager Julian Carvajal, “you will have the opportunity to connect, interact and experience the vibrant streets of our neighbourhoods”.
The evening will feature:
● Original music performances and testimonials by youth from the “Next Up” music program
● Youth from Lawrence Heights “Free the Streets” program present spoken word statements relating to themes of displacement, revitalization and gentrification
● Young artists from “ASAP” (After School Arts Program) showcase 3 skits and an original song
● “Learn the Bassics” children and youth will perform a bass rendition of their (surprise!) song of choice
● “Program Without Walls” mothers will perform a Flamenco Bellydance fusion under the guidance of award-winning dancer Anjelica Scannura
● A slide show featuring photography by our “True HeaART” youth participants
● A dance piece will be performed by Villaways participants who are experiencing the realities of displacement as their community is torn down and rebuilt
● Fashion displays by youth from “Kut x Sew” fashion program
● Live testimonials by artists and participants from a wide range of programs
“The Showcase will feature an abundance of talent, grass-roots collaboration and inspiring creativity”, says Art Starts Interim Executive Director Tamara Haberman.
Art Starts is a charitable organization that has been bringing professional artists and underserved communities together in community-building arts programs for over 23 years. They are the winners of Toronto Arts Foundation’s 2013 Arts for Youth Award.
WHO: Art Starts
WHAT: 2016 Program Showcase
WHEN: Wednesday December 7th, 2015. 6-8pm.
WHERE: Toronto Centre for the Arts, 5040 Yonge Street, North York
For more information, please visit www.artstarts.net or contact Program Director: firstname.lastname@example.org.”